Recent updates
14 days
News and results
News Flash
Michael & Andrew Cotton
Scrutineering Bay
Kerry Morse
Not that it's any of
my business

John Brooks
Notes from the

Across the Border
Focal Point

Mail  to a friend

Baby You Can Drive
My Car

Family and friends
Your comments
Index Index
Back Back
Top of Page
co driving with Ted Field

Hal Thoms looks back on a racing desperado  -  Milt Minter

A few weeks ago my friend Hal Thoms and I made a journey to the small town of
Sanger, located just outside Fresno in the central valley of California. The purpose
of this drive was to get together with several hundred people and to throwback a
few beers and swap tales of one of the most original individuals to climb aboard a
race car. Upon arriving, it was obvious that we were here for a party, not a weepy
memorial. The choice wasn’t a church or hall but a sound stage full of Americana
and a large horseshoe bar located off to one side. But then that's the way Milt
Minter is and was. In today's motorsport world talent and ability are not enough, it
is what one can bring in addition to the table. Milt Minter's greatest asset was
himself and nothing else. Hal Thom's remembrance of the man is proof enough of
that. Ironically there were several close friends of Milt's that couldn’t make the trip
because it was the same weekend as the test days for the Daytona 24 Hours. Any
guilt ? Nah, Milt would have skipped his own party to be back in a race car.

                                                                           - Kerry Morse

Milt Minter –  An American Driving Legend ( Donkey Bop )
  Milt Minter was a great race car driver.  He had an immense fire and passion for
racing, and was as competitive as they come.  He could drive the wheels off of
anything he drove.  He “kicked ass” not only on the track, but also in life.  He made
many cars appear much better than they actually were with his smooth,
aggressive driving style.  More importantly, he was a true friend.  Every one of us,
who knew him, knew him as one of the friendliest, kindest, sincere people we
have ever known.  He always had time for everyone.  He was one of the best
storytellers ever.  He is truly one of the last of a rare breed.  We will miss him
dearly.  We lost Milt after his long battle with cancer on December 23 in his
hometown of Sanger, Ca.  He was 71.

Down by the River ( side )
  My friendship started with Milt in the summer of 1968.  I had just graduated from
high school, and attended an SCCA race at Riverside Raceway.  Boy, was I into
Porsches!  I borrowed my mom’s Brownie instamatic camera, and off I went.
Nothing was sweeter than the sound of a 911S “on it” with the pure Porsche tunes
being played out of a Bursch exhaust!  I was truly awed by a bright orange 911S
being driven sideways lap after lap through Turn 6.  It was there that I clicked off
the first picture of this 911S that I ever took at a car race.

  We later ventured into the pits.  There it was, that hot 911S!  Beside it, it’s driver,
Milt Minter.  To our surprise, he asked us “How are you guys doin’?”  Is he talking
to us?  WOW!  We talked for nearly a half hour before an older gentleman came
up and needed to speak to Milt.  I need a photo before we go.  Click.  My second
photo ever taken at a race.  It was of Milt, and the older gentleman I would later
come to know, Vasek Polak.

  Soon thereafter, in January of ’69, I began a 4-year stint serving my country in the
Air Force.  I would miss, what I now consider, the “glory days” of Road Racing.
Not only the SCCA races, but the Trans-Am and Can-Am wars.  Thank God for
ROAD & TRACK.  I kept up with all the racing news.  Among others, I read about
that driver that had befriended us in the pits at Riverside.

  In 1958, after service in the Navy, Milt began his racing career in his hometown of
Sanger, Ca, when he traded in his VW Beetle on an MGA that he prepped for
racing.  He found it uncompetitive even though he finished 3rd or 4th in his class
behind a gaggle of Porsches in his very first race.

  Sam Caldwell of Foreign Motor Sales in nearby Fresno, where Milt had
purchased his Beetle, also introduced him to those quick little Porsches.  Milt was
convinced Porsche was the car to have if you wanted to be successful in racing.
After scrimping and saving his earnings from driving a school bus, be had
enough to buy a very used 550 Spyder in 1960 for $5,000.00.  It was a handsome
amount back in those days.  With fewer than 5 total races under his belt, he
entered himself in the prestigious Pacific Grand Prix at Laguna Seca.  The world-
class event included the likes of Jack Brabham, Jimmy Clark, and Dan Gurney.
He did well enough not to embarrass himself in his first professional outing.
Unfortunately, the 4-cam engine blew before the checker flag fell.  He soon found
out that no one in the Fresno area would touch the complicated 4-cam engine.
He had disassembled the engine but didn’t have the knowledge (nor did anyone
else) to rebuild it.  The 550 would sit in his backyard for over a year before he sold
it for $4,000.00 to a local PCA crony, Warren Crumly.

  Meantime, Milt’s first real patron in his racing career was another Fresno area
native, Bob Rhodes.  Rhodes turned his gorgeous concours winning Super-90
356 Coupe into a road racer.  He installed a roll bar behind its drivers seat for Milt
who would not disappoint as he would place second behind Harry Weber’s 356 at
a race at Laguna Seca.  In the pits between sessions, Rhodes would be wiping
off his car trying to keep it in pristine shape.  Milt didn’t put a scratch on it.

  Harry Weber was so impressed with Milt’s aggressive, smooth driving style, that
he hired Milt to drive for his own team.  In 1963, Weber fielded Milt in a black
Carrera GT belonging to Don Dickey, once again at Laguna Seca.  Milt was having
a tremendous race until the motor blew.  Still impressed, Weber put Milt in his
newly purchased red 904 at an SCCA event at Candlestick Park in San Francisco
in 1964.  This was the ride that boosted Milt out of production car ranks and into
the sports racer elite.  Even though Milt came within a length of beating Porsche
guru Scotter Patrick, driving Otto Zippers 904, Weber withdrew his 904 “baby” from
further competition after it had suffered minor collision damages in the contest.  It
would be Milt’s last Porsche ride for 4 years.

Enter Otto, here's Vasek and a no go for Ginther
  After the Candlestick Park race, Otto Zipper convinced Milt to move to the L.A.
area to become a mechanic for him.  Zipper thought Milt had prepared Weber’s
904 for competition.  He hadn’t.  Even though he insisted he wasn’t a good
mechanic, and that it was his great driving skills that had gotten him his 2nd place
finish, Zipper insisted on hiring him.  As Zipper and his team, anchored by Patrick,
departed for the 12 Hour race in Sebring, Florida, Milt was left behind to be in
charge of Zipper’s Beverly Hills garage.  “It was one of the saddest times of my
life.  Everyone went off racing but me.”

  When Zipper returned and discovered that Milt wasn’t really a mechanic, he let
him go to Vasek Polak who had also thought that Milt was a great mechanic, even
though Milt continued to confess it was great driving skills that he possessed.
After a short time, Polak also let him go.

  In 1965 Milt drove a Lotus Super-7 fielded by another Fresno area patron,
Clarence Matthews in many selected SCCA events.  He had some great battles in
C/Production with yet another Fresno resident, Dick Smith in his quick Carrera
Speedster.  Smith wound up taking the Division title, and later the National
Championship in his Speedster.  Once again beaten by a Porsche.  Milt did have
a fine season and finished up 6th in the Pacific Coast Division in C/P.

  1966 saw Milt behind the wheel of the Universal Motors Formcar Formula-V.  He
went on to take 1st in the Southern Pacific Regional Championships.

  By the time 1967 rolled along, Clarence Matthews offered Milt a ride in his new
Mustang in the second year of the Trans-Am series.  It was a successful year.  In
10 Trans-Am events where he finished, Milt never finished out of the top 10.  Milt
gained much experience ‘banging fenders” with the likes of Parnelli Jones, David
Pearson, Cale Yarborough and Peter Revson.

  At the end of the season, Vasek Polak again entered the picture when he
approached Milt and offered him a test drive in his SCCA C/P 911.  Milt jumped on
the chance to pilot a Porsche once again.  The test was conducted at Willow
Springs.  Milt passed with flying colors and was offered the ride for the upcoming
’68 season.

  In 1968, C/P was the factory battleground for bragging rights in the sports car
industry.  The Porsche 911s were up against the heavy guns from Lotus, Triumph
and Toyota.  In the very first race of the season at Willow Springs, Milt had a race
long battle with Scotter Patrick’s factory Toyota 2000 that damaged every corner of
his Polak 911.  Milt was victorious!  Polak was ecstatic!  The “farm boy” from
Sanger thought he had found a new home.  Not so.  Days later he was informed
by his boss that Jon von Neumann made an offer to Polak for Milt’s services that
he could not refuse.  It was off to von Neumann’s Porsche Distributor team
headed by Richie Ginther.  He soon found out that he was expected to play
“second fiddle” to the teams lead driver, Alan Johnson.  Johnson had won the ’67
SCCA C/P National Championship at Daytona.

  Milt’s status with the team created a major problem for Milt.  “When it came to
scrappin’ and we were back a little ways, I could run circles around Alan fightin’ for
the lead.”  Milt did confess that Alan was a much better frontrunner, and very hard
to catch and pass while in the lead.

  After two full seasons with Ginther and the team orders, it came down to the
1969 SCCA American Road Race of Champions at Daytona, and Milt had had
enough.  “I told Richie that the race was going to be mine, even though I knew it
might cost me my ride.”  He was told that if he won, he’d be fired.  He drove to a
convincing win.  After the winner’s ceremony in winners circle, he was indeed

  Milt’s driving relationship with Polak was quickly rekindled.  The following year,
1970, he took Polak’s 906 to the BSR National Title.  Milt also spent time behind
the wheel of the Polak 904, which dated back to ’68, winning several Pacific
Division A/P races.

Heavy Metal - enter Trans Am
  1970 also saw Milt driving for Roy Woods Camaro-American Racing Team again
in the Trans-Am Series.  In July, at the Donnybrook, MN round, Milt became the
first independent driver to win a Trans-Am race.

  Other highlights of Milt’s career included 1972 when he drove a Jerry Titus
Firebird to victory at Mid-Ohio, becoming the first driver to win a road race for
Pontiac.  He wound up 2nd overall in the season’s Drivers Championship.  He
also finished 2nd overall in the Can-Am Drivers Championship driving Polak’s
917/10.  At the end of the season, Milt was flown to Stuttgart where Ferry Porsche
awarded him the “Pedro Rodriguez Trophy” for most aggressive Porsche driver in
the 1972 Can-Am Series.

  1973 was off to a quick start as he co-drove a Luigi Chinetti Ferrari to a fine 2nd
in the 24 Hours of Daytona.  That was followed up the following month with
another 2nd overall in the 12 Hours of Sebring co-driving Michael Keyser’s
Porsche Carrera RS.

Meanwhile back in the States….
  Milt had accomplished quite a bit in his racing career.  But he was not done.  As I
mentioned earlier, I was off serving my time in the USAF from January ’69 –
January ’73.  A great racing era.  I missed it.

  In October of ’73, I was off again to Riverside Raceway for the Can-Am race.  The
Can-Am Series was in its final glory that year.  Porsche 917s had been totally
dominating that year as well as the previous two.  Mark Donohue in Roger
Penske’s 917/30 was all conquering in ’73.  Porsche’s dominance would lead to
major rules changes the following year, as the Can-Am would eventually die off a
few years later.

  Milt was not driving a 917 for Polak.  That was left up to Jody Scheckter and Brian
Redman.  Instead, Milt was driving once again for an old friend, Otto Zipper.  He
had a great race finishing 5th overall in Zipper’s little 3-liter Alfa Romeo.  On
Friday, cruising the pits, I once again came across Milt as I had back in ’68.
“How’s it goin’?” he asked me once again.  I told him “Great!”  I told him of our
previous encounter and explained I was now attending College and was taking up
photography.  I was armed with my new Nikon 35mm camera, and I was shooting
my very first rolls of B&W film for my first assignment for my first photography
class.  I clicked off a few shots of him and his Alfa.  After a nice chat, he wished
me luck in my photography endeavors.  It made another long-lasting impression
on me.  Unfortunately, over time, I have misplaced those first rolls of B&W.  They
were the first rolls of film I ever developed myself, and the first prints I ever printed
myself, ever.  I got an A in my class.  I would later attend Brooks Institute, School of
Photography in Santa Barbara, CA, where I would later obtain a BPA degree in

  More racing laurels were obtained by Milt in 1974.  He came in first in Toad Halls
Carrera RSR at the IMSA Camel GT race a Laguna Seca, defeating Peter Gregg
and a very large and talented field.  Throughout the ’74 IMSA season, Milt drove 3
different cars.  Later in the season, at Talledaga, he would win driving John
Greenwoods Corvette.  Going down to the wire of the IMSA season, Milt was
locked in a tight battle with Peter Gregg, previous multiple IMSA driving champion.
In the series finale, a 250-mile race at Daytona, Gregg lead Milt 98 to 96 in points.
Milt jumped once again in the Toad Hall RSR and led the race until the engine
disintegrated.  Greg went on to win the race, and the championship.

  1974 also saw Milt’s first appearance at the 24 Hours of Le Mans where he co-
drove an RSR with Michael Keyser.  They experienced several problems during
the race, but still managed to finish 20th.

  The remainder of the ‘70s saw Milt in action as a “hired gun” by several
professional race teams.  He competed for Ferrari Teams several times at the 24
Hour Daytona race.  In 1977, he finished 5th in a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona co-
driving with Elliot Forbes Robinson and Paul Newman.

  In 1979, Milt and I would have another chance meeting.  This time, I was now a
professional photographer working for Rapid Pace, Inc., and shooting for Ted
Field’s Interscope 935 team.  Danny Ongais, Fields usual co-driver, was off at
Indy for the 500, so Milt was hired as Fields co-driver for the Riverside 6-Hour
event.  I was very surprised, to say the least, when I entered the Interscope pit
area – THERE WAS MILT!  I made my way over to him and he asked me “How’s it
goin’?”  NO WAY!  We once again had a great chat.  He was very impressed that,
after hearing about our earlier encounters, I was now a professional
photographer.  He was very happy for me.

I got a Nikon camera, I love to take photographs….
  It would be another 5 years before Milt and I would meet up again.  By now I had
been earning my living as a professional advertising photographer for several
years.  I had become good friends with Carl Thompson and Vasek Polak.  Carl
was Head of the Polak Competition Department, which had moved into historic
racing.  I had done a lot of product/race photography for Vasek Polak’s magazine
ads.  When I had spare time, you could find me hanging out at Polak’s race shop
in Torrance, Ca.

  In 1994, Polak & Thompson were ready to begin running one of the Polak
917/10s in vintage racing.  Who better to drive it than Milt!  It was VARAs (Vintage
Auto Racing Association) Porsche/Alfa Challenge being held at Willow Springs
that September.  Friday afternoon, it was getting pretty late.  “Where’s Milt?”
Finally, in rolled an old green PU truck and out jumps this crazy guy with a Gotee  -
its Milt.  “How’s it goin’?” he asked.

  That weekend he hung out with us.  I now had a motorhome and several of our
356 racers would use it as a base at the vintage race event.  Beer was in order
and a BBQ followed by hours of Milt’s great story telling.  He made several new
friends that weekend.

  After many vintage races, and a few years passed, VARA planned to revive
Pomona’s glorious road course of the late ‘50s and early ‘60s through the L.A.
County Fairgrounds.  An initial race was run in 1995.  For it’s second race at this
historic venue in May of ’96, VARA was looking for something great to promote the
race.  I suggested to Dan Verstuyft, VARAs President (and excellent Speedster
racer!) and to Carl Thompson an idea I had.  “How about having the race in honor
of Vasek?”  After some discussion with Vasek himself, it was decided that is what
we would do.  The race would be a Tribute to Vasek Polak.  I was very honored to
have lunch with Mr. Polak several times, and other meetings with him, and got to
know him quite well.

  After 6 months of planning, over 65 vintage Porsche race cars would show up to
pay homage to Vasek.  Cars included 550, 550A, RSK, 356 Carreras, 911s, 904,
908, RSR, and 962 examples.  Vasek brought out 3 917s, a 908/3, a 2.1 RSR
Turbo, and the very first 935 ever produced.  Drivers in attendance included Milt
Minter, Jack McAfee, Jon von Neumann, Joe Playan (550 Spyder driver), Max
Balchowsky (Ole Yellar fame), John Morton and George Follmer.  It was quite a
weekend indeed.  Drinking beer and hanging with Vasek and Milt one evening
was quite an experience.  Who was the most popular storyteller?  Why, it was Milt
of course.

  Milt would also visit our campsites at Laguna Seca for many of the Monterey
Historic weekends.  That man could stay up all night drinking beer and telling Bill
Doyle, Steve Schmidt, Gary Emory and me his stories as only he could tell.

  Speaking of Gary, he built a 356 “time-bomb” racer called Desperado in the early
‘80s.  Desperado was so radical, it could only be raced in the POC (Porsche
Owners Club) events in an experimental class.  The body fenders were flared, the
front fenders had “917-type” design, and the body was painted in Gary’s favorite
Porsche 908 Flounder paint scheme.  Eventually, Dean Polopolus needed a
radical car to place his newly developed 911 engine into, so he talked Gary into
installing it into Desperado.  Dean’s engine was a 3.2-liter, 911 6-cylinder engine,
with the middle two cylinders cut out, producing a 2 liter, 4-cylinder configuration.
“It ran like stink!” said Milt, who was the cars primary driver.  Milt would go on to set
several fast times of the weekend in POC time trials.

  Gary once decided he would like to drive Desperado at an event at Willow
Springs.  Milt was Gary’s instructor for the weekend.  In an early practice session,
Milt was riding shotgun as Gary was familiarizing himself with the track and the
car.  After a few laps, Milt was getting bored.  “Come on Gary, Goddamn it!  You’re
driving like an old woman, lets get goin’!”  Gary quipped that he was going fast
enough, thank you.  Well, the next thing Gary knew, as they were approaching the
“sphincter-tightening” turn 9, Milt took his left foot and stomped Gary’s right
accelerator food down to the floorboard and grabbled the steering wheel with his
left hand, “Come on Gary, we can go twice as fast through this turn!”  For the next
half lap, Milt was driving from the right hand seat, and Gary had one of his thrills of
a lifetime!

Fast lap and the final lap
  Milt had his biggest battle the last few years of his life.  He battled cancer.  It was
a gallant fight.  He would never complain.  You wouldn’t expect anything but that
from Milt.  I saw him drive Ray Stewart’s ex-Ginther 914/6 at Willow Springs last
October.  (See our last issue.)  Guess what, he still could kick ass and won the
race.  It would be his last.

  I had been telling him for quite some time that I wanted to come up to Sanger
and see him because I wanted to do a story about him.  A few weeks later I finally
made the trip to see Milt and Melissa.  What an afternoon we spent.  His good
friend Dean Polopolus was also there.  Milt had his passion for great story telling
in full gear sharing many great tales with us.  Nobody could tell a story quite the
way Milt could.  After another most memorable afternoon, it was time for me to
head back home to Southern California.  He gave me a huge hug, and with a
twinkle in his eyes, he told me he wasn’t doin’ to good.  He looked into my eyes
and told me we’d be friends forever.  He passed away about a month later.

  I am a lucky man.  I have a wonderful wife, Marilyn, and two wonderful daughters,
Tricia and Traci.  I have been very blessed.  I have gotten to pursue my passion in
life that I have totally enjoyed.  How many people can get up every day and look
forward to it and the work they are involved with?

  No one else in my life inspired me to pursue my dreams of being a race
photographer than my encounters with Milt did.  He was a great driver, but a
greater friend.  I only know one thing, when I hopefully reach the Promised Land,
he’ll be one of the first ones to greet me, “How’s it goin’?”

                                                              Hal Thoms
                                                          Tustin, California
                                                            February 2005

check out Milt's t-shirt
sportscarpros Across the Border

Features on or from Guests
at Candlestick in a 904
a Speedster in Stockton
10 at Laguna Seca
1969 PR photo
the 356 outlaw
Monterey Historics 1998
Milt wins in the #81 Toady
Milt trashes his teammate
how about a beer instead _
Hal's first photo of Milt
getting Paul Newman sleepy
you drive for me-with Vasek
Richie Ginther with Milt
A days
together again